Monday, July 26, 2010

Is MMA Considered Mainstream?

One of the more interesting questions regarding MMA in recent years is whether or not the sport can currently be regarded as "mainstream". The explosion in popularity has continued to gradually increase since the original success of "The Ultimate Fighter", save a possible slump involving the UFC late last year and early this year depending on who you ask.

Sherdog.com's blog is featuring a poll asking whether or not 'MMA has reached mainstream status'. I said no. To me, a sport is mainstream when you could stop almost any average schmoe on the street and hold a conversation with them about a particular sport, team or player. In my opinion, nine out of ten random people would likely follow one of the four major sports and know who LeBron James, Brett Favre and Alex Rodriguez are. I can't say the same for MMA. Brock Lesnar might get half of those people but I have serious doubts about anyone else.

Don't get me wrong. I'm still surprised at the number of people that I find who are semi-knowledgeable about the sport, more so the UFC. But an interest level as high as those have for the NFL and MLB just isn't there at this point. Could it be in the future? That's what some (and Dana White of course) are expecting.

What say you?

No comments:

Post a Comment